Information about the Dutch driver’s license
To drive a car in the Netherlands you can sometimes exchange your driving license from another country. You can drive for 185 days on the driving license from your country. After the 185 days you have to retake the theory and practical exam in the Netherlands in order to have a valid driving license. The CBR is the organisation who´s taking the practical and theory exam.
The second part consists of 40 questions concerning the traffic rules (30 questions) and insight into various traffic situations (10 questions). For the second part, you must have at least 35 answers correctly.
• You can follow a one-day CBR theory course to pass your theory exam. This will greatly increase your success of passing.
• You can use a CBR theory book with 15 hours exam training if you want to study by yourself.
• You can book your theory exam at mijn.cbr.nl or via the English driving school Amsterdam.
• The theory exam can be tricky, be sure to prepare!
After you finish your practical exam you have to file for the driver’s license at the municipality in your city or ‘Stadsdeel’. It takes 5 days to process you request and the costs are 38,40. You can also file for a speed up, this costs 72,50 and takes 1 day.
Using a foreign license
Non-EU/EER driving license (regardless of your nationality);
You are allowed to drive in the Netherlands with a valid non-EU/EER driving license for 185 days (6 months) after the registration at your municipality or the expat centre.
EU/EER driving license (regardless of your nationality);
You can use your EU/EER in the Netherlands for a period of 10 years after the issue date of your license. Regardless of the issue date you are always allowed to drive for 1 year with an EU/EER driving license.
30 % ruling
• If you are not entitled for the tax ruling, you will have to pass the theory and practical exam.
• When your license is out of date, you are not allowed to drive a car in the Netherlands.
• The exchange procedure may take up to 6 weeks. We advise not to drive a car during this period.
• An international driving permit is a translation of your driving license and is not accepted as your driving license in the Netherlands if you need to exchange yours because of a non-EU nationality.